First client project: Dermosil Care Guide
It's an app to quickly check the UV-index and how to protect yourself from the sun, based on your location. It's an offer from Dermoshop, a Scandinavian cosmetics store, to its clients. An iOS version was also developed at the same time.
- Current UV-index
- 24 hours and weekly forecast
- Sun protection tips according to the current UV-index, your location and skin type
- Share a photo with your location and UV-index on social media
- Location retrieval
A common challenge, achieving the balance between quickly getting a device location, but ensuring it's accurate. In this case, we only needed the city.
- API integration
We used Weather Underground, but UV info can be spotty.
- Custom camera
First time I've developed a custom camera preview and controls. There's a lot more into it than I would imagine, specially if you want a squared camera. And camera actions can be very slow, so you need to work around that.
- Photo overlay
Image processing inside Android apps can quickly use too much memory. We had to look for optimizations and ensure we're not wasting bitmaps.
It was definitely a fun project to develop, and we're proud of how the app turned out.
Even so, here's a few things to improve next time:
- We finished with almost no automated tests. While this may be fine or a short project like this, it's something we need to become more comfortable doing.
- Camera actions could be faster, or at least seem faster to users